Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent

I celebrated Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) by being gluttonous. Now I'm ready for Lent, today being Ash Wednesday. I Looked up Ash Wednesday online and how to observe it. It is for reflecting quietly on your personal relationship to God, and setting some time aside to grow in holiness. Ash Wednesday is a good time to think about what's really significant in your life, or life in general, and to try to set your priorities straight. Receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation during Lent, if you're Catholic. If you're not Catholic or you're not religious in a formal way, you can simply contemplate the meaning of Ash Wednesday as the beginning of a time of repentance, reflection and prayer. Think about fasting on this Ash Wednesday, whether giving up one meal or abstaining from food the whole day. I'm not Catholic but I thought it'd be nice to celebrate more. I'm all for celebrations. So for lent I am fasting from one big thing. I am giving up.....drum roll please.......SUGAR. Ahhhh! Me? Not eat sweets? Yikes. I'm real scurred (gangster speak for scared). I can do it. I can do hard things. Wow. No sweets. I'll just have to be sweet myself. That was some word play, trying to throw in some humor for this blog post. But seriously I'll have to just eat fruit all the time to curb my sweet tooth. This will probably make me skinnier and give me less cavities, so that's good! Happy Ash Wednesday! What are you willing to give up for lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment